Friday, October 29, 2010

i actually had sort of forgotten about this! but i'm glad y'all reminded me, because you guys were some of the best real friends i had for awhile (especially francie, who i DESPERATELY have been meaning to call for so long). i've kind of dropped off the face of the world from all of you, and a lot of stuff has happened over two years. this may come as a shock to you, but i recently wrecked my car drunk driving. last week actually. over the past two years, my drinking has steadily increased. and over the past several months, it has really spiraled out of control. but really all that matters right now is that the incident with my car was sort of like a "last straw," if you will. thankfully no one and nothing but my car was hurt. i've known i had a drinking problem for a while now, but was not willing to change until several recent events have lead me to my breaking point (always the best place to ultimately wind up, though, it seems). as of right now, i am standing at the beginning of a long, bumpy road that is finally going the right direction. ive really messed up a lot lately, but as god pulls me through this one i really believe my life is going to be hugely changed in positive ways i can faintly imagine. anyways-there's a lot to the story that doesnt need to be spelled out here, but the point of me writing this is just to ask for your prayers. for your support. sadly, this is my first weekend sober in months and i can't believe how hard it is for me to stay out of a bar. but thankfully, somehow i'm still sitting here not going to one! i start AA tomorrow (kind of embarrassing to share, but honestly i'm looking forward to finding support from people who've been through this). i've dug a deep financial hole, formed some extremely hard-to-break bad habits, and turned away from all my true friends to settle for surface level ones that make each night "fun" (and not even fun anymore). So... this is both a really difficult and a very exciting time. i'm really hopeful for the first time in a long time. i'm resolved to stay sober, one day at a time, hopefully every day for the rest of my life. but your prayers would mean the world to me as i'm just now starting to turn back to jesus and feel pretty weak and ALMOST (but not quite) unbearably alone. i really love you guys. i miss you all more than i really know how to express. thanks so much

4 comments:

  1. Karlee, you are awesome! I am so proud of you. I am completely confident that the Lord is going to give you abundant grace in this season. I have so much more to tell you because the last couple of years have been rough for me too...I can totally identify. I spiraled into some really dark stuff and totally despaired. However, in the last nine months or so I’ve gotten to encounter the Lord’s kindness and tenderness towards me like never before! I’m praying that He will do the same for you. I love you friend, and I seriously want to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Fran...you're amazing, and God is definitely getting you ready for something really special. I've been to things like AA before. It was for a different addiction, but I think it probably feels kind of the same...to feel helplessly stuck in something and really alone. I wasn't humble enough to tell people. Actually, I still struggle...so I know how hard it is...I'll really be praying for you.
    I miss laughing with you at IHOP...wish we all lived in the same area so we could spend time together and encourage one another! Are you in Atlanta now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks you guys! your messages really encourage me, ya know-just that yall have been there, too. and yes i am in atlanta! finishing nursing school, working as a tech, and starting to look for jobs! bout to move back in with the folks in january for the first time since i was 18, too...(cool, huh?haha) maybe i can find a day or two i can slip away to athens for a reunion sometime this month, though! i'll try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I wondered back to the ole blog after having already read this back in October, and per usual, am so happy that I did.
    Sometimes one of the hard things for me now that I'm coming out of my 3-year struggle with sin and with God, is that so many people think I'm just naturally 'happy' or naturally 'good' even. And it frustrates me to no other. Partially, because they just don't know me that well, and partially because it completely takes away God's glory in the CRAZY merciful things He has done in me.
    Karlee- I will always adore your God-given vision for a book of honest prayers before the Lord. This blog is a testament to me of how much we NEED each other's struggles, because of how much we NEED to hear of God's joy in pulling us out!
    I love you, Karlee, and I have always always benefited from your authenticity. Blessings always, and I know that the Lord will continue helping us in our weakness- where He is made strong. Praise be to Him! [so thankful.] :)

    ReplyDelete