Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Praying for authority
Hey guys, I thought that I could go by the post office and still get to class on time but I misjudged how slow the line could be. I have some free time and I think God wants me to spend it with HIM. I was telling Stephanie this morning about spiritual authority and how it is readily our if we have faith and call out for it. This kinda goes along with the post about brother Yun and how persecution has forced the church in China to rely on the Holy Spirit. We all have authority that comes from the FATHER and all we have to do is ask and believe it in our hearts. I was reading in the Book of Acts where Peter and John met a beggar at one of the temple gates. See how Peter uses his spiritual authority to perform a miracle, "Then Peter said, 'Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.' Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up, and instantly the man's feet and ankles became strong(Acts 3:6-7)." Later on in the 10th chapter, the Roman soldier Cornelius calls for Peter to come to his home. When Peter entered, Cornelius "fell at his feet in reverence" and here is Peter's response, "But Peter made him get up. 'Stand up,' he said, 'I am only a man myself (Acts 10:26)." I love that! Peter, a man, a man who sinned until he died, a man who denied Jesus, he was able to heal a crippled beggar. Claim the authority! We have it now and Peter is an example of what we can do when we humble ourselves before God. A friend told me once he was watching a movie set in the time of the Catholic Reformation. One of the church leaders was showing a monk around one of the huge cathedrals that was very decadent and richly decorated in the extreme. The church leader haughtily declared, "No longer can Saint Peter's church say silver or gold I do not have!" The humble monk replied, "And no longer can you say, 'in the name of Jesus walk.'" We, the American church need to be careful and focus on who we get our authority from instead of worshiping the pleasures of this world. Well, I hope everybody has a blessed day and remember, Jesus is with you wherever you go!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great thought! I love his confidence. If I walked up to a crippled guy and yanked him up, I'd have to really know that he was going to be able to stand up. I think the more we are aware of Him in us, the more confidence we have, and we'll be able to move in that authority. Cool stuff!
ReplyDeletemmm good words, Lee! I think we have SO much to learn from Peter. I've always been interested that Jesus declares there is no one greater than John the Baptist [mat 11] and yet He declares that upon Peter will He build His church. I adore that God chose a man who made so many mistakes and even denied knowing the Lord to be the rock He built His church. I so want to learn Peter's love, that even after His failing, He immediately runs to Jesus when He sees Him next. I want to learn to run TO Him rather than from Him when I know I have messed up. man I should study Peter...
ReplyDelete