Disclaimer: don't feel obligated to read this...I just want to write up what I'm learning more often, and for some reason a blog motivates me.
So, the sweetest thing ever that the Lord showed me the other day was in John 2. After Jesus began His ministry at the wedding in Cana, He decided to go to Jerusalem. I would imagine that His Bride was on His mind after having attended a wedding, and because He was headed to Jerusalem of all places...
Anyway, He came up to Jerusalem and went into the temple only to find it desecrated with all sorts of business going on. He had to be hurt by this. For Jesus it would sort of be like coming home to find your wife cheating on you. And, on top of that, she doesn't recognize you or even care that you are back!
Then Jesus did something really weird. John says, "He made a whip of cords" (2:15). Another translation says "He fashioned a scourge." He actually took the time to make a whip. He went back to the temple, brandished the whip, and drove the moneychangers out of the temple. His disciples recognized the fulfilled prophecy that zeal for His Father's house would consume Him, but I think there is so much more going on.
I've been stuck on the fact that Jesus made the scourge Himself. It is so intense to me. Because HIS back was scourged I am set free. Because HE was beaten, whipped, and afflicted, I am healed and delivered. Wow. I think Jesus knew in those moments even as He fashioned the whip exactly what was going to happen. Oh, and it was Passover by the way. How powerful is it that He knew, yet He made the whip Himself?! What was He thinking the whole time??? He's so jealous for us.
Jesus brandishing the whip in the temple was a picture of the full wrath of God that was going to be poured out on His own body for His temple (us)! He took the full penalty for the very harlot that betrayed Him, forgot Him, didn't recognize Him, and showed no remorse...wow.
I feel like this story sums up my last year. I was stuck in so much sin, and all I saw was Jesus with a whip. I imagined Him angry and fed up. But then He started to break in with the Gospel again. Jesus covers me. Yes, His wrath was stirred, but it was poured out on His own back. He's actually that kind. The Gospel actually is that glorious. I never would have guessed that Jesus "fashioning a whip" could romance my heart this much!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment